Frequently asked questions

NB: The information on these pages was valid for the 2018 intake

On this page we have collected some of the frequently asked questions and their answers. If you do not find the answer to your question below, you can always be in contact with us directly!


Master's degree programmes


I am interested in one of your programmes. What should I do and how can I apply?

The admissions process is electronic and only once in a year, in December-January. Application documents sent to the University Admissions office outside the application period will not be taken into account. All applicants must go over the same application process during the application period.

Before applying, please read all the information available regarding the programme and the admissions procedure.

How often do you have an intake into Master's degree programmes in English?

Admission period for the degree programmes in English is, depending on the programme, once a year or every two years, during December-January. The studies always begin in the autumn semester, in late August.

Is it possible to apply to more than one programme in the University of Tampere?

Yes, you can apply to as many programmes as you wish, provided that you have the required educational background. Please note that you will need to submit the application form and enclosures separately for each programme you apply to. In addition, you will need to indicate an order of preference for the UTA programmes in the application form.

Where should I send my application documents?

The documents should be sent to University Admissions Finland:

University Admissions Finland (UAF)
Unioninkatu 40 C
FI-00170 Helsinki

How can I check whether my application documents have arrived?

University Admissions Finland (UAF) will send you an email notification after they have processed your application. This might take some time, since especially towards the end of the application period, UAF receives a large amount of application documents per day.

Unfortunately UAF or the University will not be able to answer e-mail or telephone enquiries about the arrival of documents.

I’m interested in studying medicine at UTA. Do you offer medical degree programmes in English?

The UTA Faculty of Medicine and Life Sciences does not offer any medical degree programmes in English. The language of instruction in these programmes is Finnish. Thus, an excellent command of Finnish is an indispensable requirement for studying medicine at the University of Tampere. Neither does UTA offer preparatory Finnish language courses. For information on applying to programmes taught in Finnish, please see Opiskelijaksi Tampereen yliopistoon.

I would like to get to know also programmes offered by other Finnish universities. Where to start?

For information on the international programmes offered in other Finnish universities, please see the Study in Finland website.

I’m studying at a university outside of Finland and I would like to have a transfer to UTA. How could I make my transfer successful?

Direct transfer of studies to UTA from another university is not possible. This means that if you are interested in studying at our university in English, you will have to apply normally for Master's degree programmes taught in English.

However, previous studies that are not included in a finished degree can be included in the degree at UTA, if their content and level are suitable. You can also compensate UTA courses with courses taken previously in another university. Compensation is granted on a case-by-case basis and must always be agreed with the programme staff.

Admission requirements

I want to apply to one of your Master’s programmes but I have not graduated yet. Can I still apply?

Yes. If you have not yet graduated, you will need to submit, by the application deadline, your latest transcript of records, a statement of the course units you are still taking, and your estimated graduation date. You will also need to submit an officially attested copy of your degree certificate, usually by the end of July of the year of student intake.

For more information, please see Applicants in the final year of their Bachelor's studies section of our web page.

I have a Bachelor’s degree from a Finnish University of Applied Sciences (AMK), am I eligible to apply?

Yes. Please note, though, that programmes might have additional requirements on the content and/or grades of your Bachelor’s degree. If admitted, you might also be required to take some complementing studies in addition to the degree programme studies.

Language requirements

English was the language of tuition during my secondary education (high school etc.) and/or during my university studies...

OR: I come from a country in which English is the official language...

..., can I be exempted from providing a test of proficiency in English from TOEFL, IELTS or PTE?

There are very few groups of applicants who are exempted from sending a language test score. For more information, please see Language requirements section of our webpage and the programme-specific language requirements listed on each programme's admission webpage.

My university will be able to give proof of my English language skills, can I be exempted from providing a test of proficiency in English?

No, a language certificate given by your university is not enough. You will need to prove your language skills with a language test, or a Bachelor’s degree in English or a two-year Master's degree in English which you have completed in the EU/EEA area, the UK, Ireland, the USA, Canada, Australia or New Zealand (excluding online degrees), or secondary education taken in English in the UK, Ireland, the USA, Canada, Australia or New Zealand.

For more information, please see Language requirements section of our web page and the programme specific requirements.

The language tests were already fully booked, the first one I could book was after the application deadline. Can I submit my language test result later?

Unfortunately not. All the application documents must arrive at University Admissions Finland (UAF) by the application deadline.

My language test result will be more than two years old during the application period, can I apply?

The language test result cannot be more than 2 years old, and it needs to be valid throughout the application period. This means that if your test expires even one day before the application deadline, you must take a new language test.

Does UTA offer any preparatory language courses?

No. UTA does not offer any preparatory language courses in English or in Finnish. Our language courses are aimed at our current degree students.

Admission results & confirming the study place

I have been admitted to another university, but I would prefer UTA. Is it possible to know my admission result before the official publication of the results?

No. Unfortunately we are not able to give individual applicants information on their admission status before the publication of admissions results.

I have confirmed my study place, but will not be able to start my studies in the autumn semester. Is it possible to defer the start of my studies?

An admitted new student must have a lawful reason for enrolling as absent in the first year of study. The reasons defined by Finnish law are voluntary military service or conscription; maternity, paternity or parental leave; or an injury or illness which prevents the student from starting his/her studies.

I have confirmed my study place but I’m not going to receive my residence permit in time. What should I do and is it possible to defer studies due to issues concerning the residence permit?

Please contact your programme's international coordinator as soon as you know that you will not be able to arrive at UTA in time. Depending on the length of your delay, it might still be possible to arrive and start your studies in the autumn semester.

Unfortunately it is not possible to defer studies due to issues concerning a residence permit. An accepted student can defer his or her admission for next year only with reasons defined by Finnish law. These reasons are military service or conscription, maternity/paternity/parental leave and applicant's own injury or illness that prevents the student from starting his/her studies. Hence, it is crucial that students apply for residence permit in time.

Fees & Scholarships

Tuition fees

I am from a non-EU/EEA country, but I have taken my Bachelor's degree in Finland. Will I need to pay tuition fees for my Master's degree?

Yes. If you study in an English-taught Master's programme, you will need to pay the fee. The country where your previous education was taken does not matter when determining whether you need to pay tuition fees or not. The determining factor is your nationality and/or your residence permit status in Finland.

I would like to study for a Bachelor's degree at UTA, do I need to pay the fee?

No. All Bachelor's programmes that UTA offers are taught in Finnish. In Finnish-taught programmes students do not need to pay tuition fees.

Non-EU/EEA citizents will need to pay tuition fees in Bachelor's programmes taught in English. At the moment the UTA does not offer Bachelor's programmes in English, but you should know that we are making plans to offer some Bachelor's degree programmes in future, not in 2018 but possibly in 2019.

I am from a non-EU/EEA country. Will I need to pay tuition fees for Doctoral studies if I study in English?

No. Students in Doctoral programmes taught in English or in Finnish do not need to pay tuition fees.

I started my studies at UTA in 2016, in one of the Master's programmes taught in English. Will I need to start paying tuition fees in 2017?

No. Students who have started their studies before August 2017 do not need to pay tuition fees for their studies, even if they continue studying in the autumn 2017 or after that.

Is it possible to pay the tuition fee in installments?

Yes. It is possible to pay the tuition fee in two installments. The first installment is due on 31 July and the second on 30 November.


I have applied for the UTA scholarship, when will I know whether I get it?

Students who will be awarded the UTA scholarship will be informed about the matter at the same time with the admission result.

Will I get the scholarship for the duration of my Master's studies?

Yes. The UTA Scholarships are always awarded for two academic years. The scholarship recipients’ progress in studies will be monitored each semester. In order to qualify for the scholarship in the second year, the student must earn at least 55 credits as detailed in the personal study plan.

I did not receive a scholarship for the first year of my studies at UTA, is it still possible to get it for the second year?

Yes. If you proceed well in your studies, it is possible to apply for a 50 % tuition fee waiver for the second year of your studies. To be eligible for it, you must complete 65 ECTS credits with a GPA no less than 3/5 during the first year of studies.

For more information, please see the UTA webpage on scholarships

Bachelor's degree programmes

I’ve just completed my high school and now I would like to apply for Bachelor’s degree programme at your university. How do I proceed?

At the moment the University of Tampere does not offer Bachelor's degree programmes in English, so the teaching language in all of our current Bachelor's degree programmes is Finnish. For more information on all Bachelor's degree programmes, please see Opiskelijaksi Tampereen yliopistoon. Please note that all the information concerning the Bachelor's programmes offered in Finnish language is given in Finnish.

We have, however, plans to introduce a few Bachelor's degree programmes in English maybe in 2019.

I would like to learn Finnish and apply for Bachelor’s degree programme in Finnish. Are there any Finnish courses available to take in order to take the entrance exams?

Unfortunately UTA does not offer any preparatory courses of Finnish language in order to take the entrance exams.  In most programmes an excellent command of Finnish is an indispensable requirement for studying at the University of Tampere.